Welcome to Further Mathematics
Why choose this course?
• Students taking Further Mathematics overwhelmingly find it to be an enjoyable, rewarding, stimulating and empowering experience. It is a challenging qualification, which both extends and deepens your knowledge and understanding beyond the standard A Level Mathematics.
• For someone who enjoys mathematics, it provides a challenge and a chance to explore new and/or more sophisticated mathematical concepts.
• Students who take Further Mathematics find that the additional time spent studying mathematics boosts their marks in single A Level Mathematics. Any student capable of passing an A Level in Mathematics should also be
able to pass AS Further Mathematics. Studying Further Mathematics consolidates and reinforces your standard A Level Mathematics work, helping you to achieve your best possible grades.
• It makes the transition from sixth form to university courses which are mathematically rich that much easier as more of the first year course content will be familiar.
• It enables students to distinguish themselves as able mathematicians in their applications for university and future employment.
Course Content/Main Topics
Pure Maths – This builds on from the skills you learn in A Level. There are 2 compulsory pure modules in further maths but you can pick further pure as an option
Options include, Further Pure, Further Statistics, Further Mechanics and Decision Mathematics. Pure, Mechanic and Statistics will build on skills learnt in A Level Maths, decision is something not taught in A Level Maths it includes using algorithms and other methods to find efficient solutions to real life problems, such as finding the shortest route around a network. The techniques are important in business, logistics and computer science.
Careers and Higher Education
Many employers and higher education facilities value an A or AS Level in Further Mathematics. During the course you will develop skills in logical thinking, decision making and problem- solving, these are all skills which will put you in high regard with future employers. An A Level in Mathematics can open the door to many careers including, engineering, finance, medicine, IT, construction, accounting, to name just a few.
100% Exam, with 4 written papers at the end of the course. Consisting of 2 Pure papers and 2 option papers
Mathematics Grade 7
Mrs R. Blake - Head of Mathematics and Problem Solving Faculty
Ready to Apply?
Once you have looked at all of your options and selected the courses you are interested in, hit the 'Apply Now' button below, if you would like to check out other courses click the 'Courses' button!