Welcome to Forensics & Criminology
Why choose this course?
It is a BTEC worth the same UCAS points as one and a half A Levels and is designed to sit with other BTECs or A Levels. Ideal for those who want to study at university, especially a course in Forensic Science, or start work or an apprenticeship in this field. Assessed by portfolio and exams.
This is a very practical based course and students will gain the skills needed to go into the workplace, or continue to higher education. Important skills like organisation and presentations skills as well as observation and analysis skills will be developed.
You will also gain experience in using a wide range of scientific equipment and learn practical skills tailored towards working in a forensics laboratory.
Course Content/Main Topics
There are six units to be covered, four are mandatory and cover:
• Principles and Applications of Science (assessed by an external exam)
• Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (portfolio based and internally assessed)
• Science Investigation Skills (assessed by an exam board set practical task carried out in class followed by an external exam based on the practical elements covered)
• Forensic Investigation Procedures in Practice (portfolio based and internally assessed)
(Please note the first three units are the same units as the BTEC National Extended Certificate in Applied Science)
The other two units are very forensically based, and are assessed internally. The options (chosen by the specialist teacher) are:
• Forensic Fire Investigation
• Forensic Traffic Collision Investigation
• Forensic Photography
• Forensic Genetics (DNA analysis)
• Environmental Forensics (investigating methods to determine time of death)
Careers and Higher Education
The course is designed for those interested in a career in Forensic science or an aspect of Criminology or Police work.
BTEC Level 3
This course is 41% externally assessed. One exam unit will be taken at the end of Y12 and could be re sat in January of Y13. The second exam unit will be sat in January of Y13 and could be re sat in Summer Y13.
Good IT skills and at least a Grade 5 in Science
Ms J Hanson - Senior Assistant Head, Wombourne High School
Ready to Apply?
Once you have looked at all of your options and selected the courses you are interested in, hit the 'Apply Now' button below, if you would like to check out other courses click the 'Courses' button!